The ROTARY CLUB OF BAINBRIDGE GEORGIA has established two scholarships for graduating seniors to encourage and reward students who demonstrate a steadfast and long-serving spirit of volunteerism: The Mayo Livingston, Senior Volunteer Service Scholarship and the Alfred A. Rogers Volunteer Service Scholarship.
Who is eligible?
· One scholarship will be awarded to a student entering an accredited U.S. college fall semester as a full- time student and who will pursue a course of study leading to an associate of arts or baccalaureate degree.
· One scholarship will be awarded to a student entering an accredited technical school fall semester as a full-time student and who will pursue a program of study leading to certification and/or licensure.
What is the amount of the scholarship?
· Each scholarship recipient will receive a one-time award of $1,000.00. The applicant must submit proof of enrollment (fall semester class schedule) to Renee Wooten, Bainbridge High School Bookkeeper.
What are the requirements for the award? (All must be met for consideration.)
· 2.5 or higher GPA
· Demonstration of a commitment to community service
· Documentation of community service experience
· Two letters of reference are required; One must be from an organization where the applicant engaged in volunteer community service that was not required as part of a classroom assignment. The other one should be from a person other than family who will attest to your character and leadership qualities.
· Essay (described on the scholarship form)
· Official copy of his or her high school record
· Record of description of volunteerism or activism at the high school level
Who handles the scholarship procedures?
- All phases of the competition including selection of recipients and payment of stipends for scholarships will be overseen by the Rotary Volunteer Scholarship Committee. The composition of the committee is one Rotary Club of Bainbridge member, one Bainbridge High School teacher or administrator, and one Bainbridge High School counselor. If a student from a Decatur County school other than Bainbridge High School applies, two Rotarians will serve on the committee.
· If the committee deems necessary, it may choose several applicants to interview. Interviewing will take place between April 15 and May 1 and the committee will select the recipients.
· All decisions of the committee are final.
Who can answer any questions I may have?
· The Bainbridge High School Guidance Department Chair.
· The Rotary Club of Bainbridge New Generations Chair.
Applications are available in BHS Guidance Department.
Deadline Date to submit applications to BHS Guidance is April 15, 2018 by 3:00 p.m.