Decatur County Schools
Parent Resource Center
507 Martin Street
Bainbridge, GA 39817
Cheryl Guy, Parent Involvement Coordinator 229-243-6847 email@example.com
The Parent Resource Center is designed to empower parents to assist their children in maximizing their full potential. The center's resources are focused on instruction, economics, health, and cultural awareness for students in grades prekindergarten through twelfth grade. There are computers available for use by parents as well as a lending library giving parents the opportunity to take resources home with them, on loan. Parents will benefit from workshops on topics from test prep information for their children to finance for themselves.
The Parent Resource Center will serve as a wonderful resource and allow parents to more effectively assist in their children's academic and social growth. The Parent Resource Center is one avenue for promoting equal opportunities across the district. Parents are encouraged to take full advantage of the resources and allow the facilitators at the center to empower them to be a more successful parent.
Decatur County School's Parent Involvement Plan is available online and hard copies are available in the Parent Resource Center. Parents may give feedback at any time during the school year.
The Decatur County Schools Parent Involvement Coordinator maintains the Parent Resource Center. At the present time, center hours are Monday-Friday 8:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m. Evening hours will be offered as the school year progresses. Services provided through the center by its two facilitators include the following:
Parent Involvement Coordinator
• Serves as the liaison between school and parents
• Resolves family issues
• Advises and trains parents on how to address issues with the leadership staff in school meetings
• Serves as a school-based intermediary contact for concerns and comments made by parents and community members
• Provides referrals to community-based services for families
• Expands opportunities for continued learning
• Develops community collaborations
• Promotes sharing of power with parents as decision makers
• Helps parents understand the educational system so they may become better advocates for their children's education
• Collaborates with parents, teachers, and the school's leadership team to develop a family-friendly school climate
• Conducts trainings with school staff during faculty meetings to determine school needs and shares updates on parent involvement best practices and proper administration
• Maintains parent resource center
• Provides workshops, classes, and activities for parents on a regular basis
• Recruits volunteers from the community to host various workshops and classes
• Provides materials such as event calendars, brochures, educational resources and DVD's
• Creates opportunities for parents who have limited English proficiency, a disability or are underrepresented because of social economics or racial barriers to participate in education initiatives and enrichment workshops
• Provides technical assistance relating to parental involvement as needed locally or at the district level
The mission of parent mentors is to provide information, support, and encouragement to the families of children who receive special education services and to the professionals who serve them.
•Assist families and educators in locating information and resources
• Provide workshops for parents and educators
• Provide confidential support for parental concerns and questions
• Provide a parent's perspective to educators
• Bridge the gap between home and school
• Increase family engagement at each tier of the Georgia Student Achievement Pyramid of Interventions
The Parent Resource Center's facilitators look forward to serving the parents of Decatur County students as we strengthen parental engagement in our schools together.