Skip To Main Content

Decatur County Schools  Complaint Procedure

Any individual, organization or agency (complainant) may file a complaint with the Georgia Department of Education (GaDOE) if that individual, organization or agency believes and alleges that violation of a federal statute or regulation that applies to a program under the Title I, Part A of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965 (ESEA) has occurred.  The complaint must allege a violation that occurred not more than one year prior to the date that the complaint is received, unless a longer period is reasonable because the violation is considered systemic or ongoing.

Parents or other stakeholders are expected to address complaints or grievances beginning at the school level with the teacher first and then the administration.  Central office personnel should be contacted next should the stakeholder feel the issues have not been resolved.  If still unsatisfied, the superintendent should be contacted.

      Federal Programs for Which Complaints Can Be Filed:

Title I, Part A: Improving Basic Programs Operated by Local Educational Agencies.

Title I, Part B, Subpart 3: Even Start Family Literacy.

Title I, Part C: Education of Migrant Children.

Title I, Part D: Prevention and Intervention Programs for Children and Youth Who Are Neglected, Delinquent, or At-Risk.

Title II, Part A: Teacher and Principal Training and Recruiting Fund.

Title II, Part D: Enhancing Education Through Technology.

Title III, Part A: English Language Acquisition, Language Enhancement, and Academic Achievement.

Title IV, Part B: 21st Century Community Learning Centers.

Title VI, Part A, Subpart 1, Section 6111: State Assessment Program.

Title VI, Part A, Subpart 1, Section 6112: Enhanced Assessment Instruments Competitive Grant Program.

Title VI, Part B, Subpart 2: Rural and Low-Income Schools.

Title IX, Part E, Subpart 1, Section 9503: Complaint Process for Participation of Private School Children.

Title X, Part C – McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act

A formal complaint may be filed in writing to the Superintendent or his/her designee using the form linked below.  If any complaint cannot be resolved at the local level, the complainant has the right to request review of the decision by the Georgia Department of Education.

Federal Programs Complaint Form